Powerpole Adapter for the Yaesu FT-817 and FT-818 (includes Powerpole lead)
The FT-817 is a great radio but it does have a few weakness. A common problem that users encounter is the failure of the DC input connector on the rear panel. In use any stresses and strains from the power lead tend to make the DC power socket in the radio shear off the printed circuit board causing intermittent operation which usually leads to total failure. The socket is a surface mount item and thus is hard to replace - and even if replaced, it is likely to fail again.
This neat adapter, from Jon N0WL, screws to the rear of the FT-817/818 and removes any strain from the connector. It is fitted with PowerPole connectors (of course). We supply it with a ready-made lead with a PowerPole connector already fitted. Lead length approx. 1 m = 3 ft. Fitting time for the adapter, about 3 minutes (and that's only if you take time finding your screwdriver). An easy upgrade that will save you money in the long run.
This adapter is suitable for all models of the FT-817 and also fits the FT-818.
- This is simply the best power solution for the most popular portable ham radio on the market!
- Its compact design allows it to become a permanent part of your FT-817, FT-817ND or FT-818
- Quit worrying about voltage drop on the stock adapter's low gauge wire
- No more broken barrel plugs stuck in your radio.
- Simple to install: Just put the plug into the radio while placing the plastic shell over the radio's ground post. Then screw in. You can still use the screw to ground your radio.
- The hard-plastic 3D printed shell protects the PowerPole® and barrel plug while staying within the footprint of the rear of the radio.
- Fabricated with genuine Anderson PowerPoles® and other quality components.
- Includes extended length grounding screw.
Made of durable plastic. Click here for details.
Occasionally the adapters may be a tight fit on the FT-817. If this is the case the mounting hole can easily be opened up by hand with a 7.5mm (19/64th inch) drill bit.
Comments from the manufacturer on using these adapters with the FT-818
"People are slowly discovering the actual differences between the FT-817 and the FT-818. I have been made aware (and verified myself) that Yaesu changed the battery charging circuit in the FT-818. As a consequence the FT-818 draws about 4mA from the internal battery when an external power plug is attached to the radio, the radio is powererd off, and the external source is not powered. This current will drain the internal battery in less than a week. But be aware that both the FT-818 and FT-817 have a current draw of about 0.2mA all the time - even without an external power plug attached - and that the internal battery will always completely drain in less than 2 months. This applies to any plug, even the original one supplied with the radio.
While not directly related to my adapter, it does call into question how best to use the internal battery of an FT-818 and whether it is a good idea to permanently attach the adapter to an FT-818 if the user intends to use the internal battery.
My conclusion for the FT-818 are:
1. Because of internal leakage current in the FT-817 or FT-818, users should never store the radio, even for a day, with a battery connected (internal or external). Rather, they should charge the battery and then immediately unplug it. Doing anything else will risk permanent damage to the battery.
2. Keeping any external power cord plugged into the FT-818 will accelerate the problem for users of the internal battery. This includes the PowerPole Adapter.
3. Keeping an external power cord plugged into the FT-817 does not increase the leakage current, but the advise from #1 above is still the same."
Also available from our international agent(s):
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
53 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
It appears to be rugged and was a snap to install. My cable going into the adapter is almost flush against the back of the radio. It takes a bit of effort to plug it in and extract the cable, but that's part of it being more rugged.
Ordered this item just before my holidays in IS0 and did QSOs with my FT-817 from southern Sardinia to Tel Aviv and Bornholm. The adapter fits perfectly.
Great practical product. Really pleased.
easy to fit but...the srew is too short when we insert the mass wire. Had to go shoping for a longer screw...
A Nice Solution, great invention
This was part of my replace all connectors with powerpole project and as i have a FT817ND it is a must have as the power plug is a weak point. When i can afford it my next purchase will be a powerpole distribution box - waiting for next pension day haha
I bought this at Newark in 2018 for a slightly reduced price which was still too much for what it is. The fit on the ground post is very tight and I ended up redesigning it and printing a replacement which also allows charging using the original connector rather than cutting it off and using more PowerPole's..
[Admin: I was sorry to read that you had problems. It is a pity that you did not contact me as I would happily have resolved the problem, either with a replacement or a refund. I hope that you will enjoy your own solution. 73 Richard G3CWI]
Easily fitted and works well.
very good quality product - fit perfectly and very convenient.