Powerpole Adapter for the Yaesu FT-817 and FT-818 (includes Powerpole lead)
The FT-817 is a great radio but it does have a few weakness. A common problem that users encounter is the failure of the DC input connector on the rear panel. In use any stresses and strains from the power lead tend to make the DC power socket in the radio shear off the printed circuit board causing intermittent operation which usually leads to total failure. The socket is a surface mount item and thus is hard to replace - and even if replaced, it is likely to fail again.
This neat adapter, from Jon N0WL, screws to the rear of the FT-817/818 and removes any strain from the connector. It is fitted with PowerPole connectors (of course). We supply it with a ready-made lead with a PowerPole connector already fitted. Lead length approx. 1 m = 3 ft. Fitting time for the adapter, about 3 minutes (and that's only if you take time finding your screwdriver). An easy upgrade that will save you money in the long run.
This adapter is suitable for all models of the FT-817 and also fits the FT-818.
- This is simply the best power solution for the most popular portable ham radio on the market!
- Its compact design allows it to become a permanent part of your FT-817, FT-817ND or FT-818
- Quit worrying about voltage drop on the stock adapter's low gauge wire
- No more broken barrel plugs stuck in your radio.
- Simple to install: Just put the plug into the radio while placing the plastic shell over the radio's ground post. Then screw in. You can still use the screw to ground your radio.
- The hard-plastic 3D printed shell protects the PowerPole® and barrel plug while staying within the footprint of the rear of the radio.
- Fabricated with genuine Anderson PowerPoles® and other quality components.
- Includes extended length grounding screw.
Also available from:
37 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Much better than the Yaesu plug. Does help to have the PowerPole Crimping tool when replacing the Yaesu Charger plug with PowerPole connectors.
A must for any FT817, ND or 818 owner. A well designed and engineered answer to the weak power socket that can (and most likely will) fail. Fit and forget...
Very convenient as most of my radio bits have the same connector. A slightly longer screw would be useful.
On the face of it a bit pricey, but considered against the cost of an FT817 not really that expensive for the peace of mind that converting the flimsy coaxial DC connector into a pair of robust powerpoles gives you. These should have been designed-in from the word go!
This is a perfect solution to the poor design of the 817/818 DC connector, which is very fragile. I have used right angle power jacks as a partial fix, but this does the job perfectly. A lightweight 3D printer produced shell fixes securely to the rear using the rear grounding screw hole. A right angle jack and the powerpole connectors fit snugly inside. The unit is sturdy and fits well, no more worrying about the connection, it's perfectly safe now.
Don't hesitate, just get one!
Not convinced by the replacement screw that goes into the Earth point on the transceiver. Seems to be ok so far but could be longer?
it fits very well..i liked it..it is useful
This is a well-made item. quick and easy to fit. It provides a much more robust method of providing external power to the transceiver than via the Yaesu supplied lead. It is not particularly cheap, but it could prevent an expensive repair to the radio in the event that the power input socket on the radio becomes damaged.
Montage sur FT 817 très facile. Je recommande.