Powerpole Adapter for the Yaesu FT-817 and FT-818 (includes Powerpole lead)
The FT-817 is a great radio but it does have a few weakness. A common problem that users encounter is the failure of the DC input connector on the rear panel. In use any stresses and strains from the power lead tend to make the DC power socket in the radio shear off the printed circuit board causing intermittent operation which usually leads to total failure. The socket is a surface mount item and thus is hard to replace - and even if replaced, it is likely to fail again.
This neat adapter, from Jon N0WL, screws to the rear of the FT-817/818 and removes any strain from the connector. It is fitted with PowerPole connectors (of course). We supply it with a ready-made lead with a PowerPole connector already fitted. Lead length approx. 1 m = 3 ft. Fitting time for the adapter, about 3 minutes (and that's only if you take time finding your screwdriver). An easy upgrade that will save you money in the long run.
This adapter is suitable for all models of the FT-817 and also fits the FT-818.
- This is simply the best power solution for the most popular portable ham radio on the market!
- Its compact design allows it to become a permanent part of your FT-817, FT-817ND or FT-818
- Quit worrying about voltage drop on the stock adapter's low gauge wire
- No more broken barrel plugs stuck in your radio.
- Simple to install: Just put the plug into the radio while placing the plastic shell over the radio's ground post. Then screw in. You can still use the screw to ground your radio.
- The hard-plastic 3D printed shell protects the PowerPole® and barrel plug while staying within the footprint of the rear of the radio.
- Fabricated with genuine Anderson PowerPoles® and other quality components.
- Includes extended length grounding screw.
Made of durable plastic. Click here for details.
Occasionally the adapters may be a tight fit on the FT-817. If this is the case the mounting hole can easily be opened up by hand with a 7.5mm (19/64th inch) drill bit.
Comments from the manufacturer on using these adapters with the FT-818
"People are slowly discovering the actual differences between the FT-817 and the FT-818. I have been made aware (and verified myself) that Yaesu changed the battery charging circuit in the FT-818. As a consequence the FT-818 draws about 4mA from the internal battery when an external power plug is attached to the radio, the radio is powererd off, and the external source is not powered. This current will drain the internal battery in less than a week. But be aware that both the FT-818 and FT-817 have a current draw of about 0.2mA all the time - even without an external power plug attached - and that the internal battery will always completely drain in less than 2 months. This applies to any plug, even the original one supplied with the radio.
While not directly related to my adapter, it does call into question how best to use the internal battery of an FT-818 and whether it is a good idea to permanently attach the adapter to an FT-818 if the user intends to use the internal battery.
My conclusion for the FT-818 are:
1. Because of internal leakage current in the FT-817 or FT-818, users should never store the radio, even for a day, with a battery connected (internal or external). Rather, they should charge the battery and then immediately unplug it. Doing anything else will risk permanent damage to the battery.
2. Keeping any external power cord plugged into the FT-818 will accelerate the problem for users of the internal battery. This includes the PowerPole Adapter.
3. Keeping an external power cord plugged into the FT-817 does not increase the leakage current, but the advise from #1 above is still the same."
Also available from our international agent(s):
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
62 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Brillliant, fitted in seconds, well made, works a treat and means all my radios are now powerpole powered. As always, prompt, professional service from all at Sotabeams.
One of the best modifications I have bought over many years. Has given my many year old FT 817 a new lease of life. Now working the way it use to. When the pin failed there was little I could do at the time.
Having intermittent break of power due to the DC connector on the FT817. The Powerpole adaptor fixed this without the need to get inside the rig.
[Admin: the adapter is not designed to provide a fix to an existing fault. It is designed to stop the fault happening. We would advide getting your radio repaied before using the adapter.]
very usefull to keep in good shape the rather fragil dc connector of this nice litlle rig
An good product and prefect services
Excellent if a little expensive!
Fits easily to the back of the radio & easy to swap power leads.
I was very impressed with the fit as well as great service from Sotabeams, once I learned that the rig uses a surface mount power connector, I knew I needed to use an alternative. This unit is produced on a 3d printer and represents excellent value.
The only comment I would make is to add a washer to help with the ground screw connection, the included screw fits fine but the washer on the original short screw that is on the radio from its manufacture wont come off, so not realizing this in advance, I just used the long screw and it works but I would like it a bit tighter. In any case just a suggestion.
Overall, very happy with my purchase decision!
Sometimes you just know it’s right. When you sit back after 30 secs installing effort and look at the bottom of the ft817/8 with a powerpole adapter done well, you know you’ve done it properly. Thank you, it’s so nice to see innovation when it helps you with an annoying problem.
It appears to be rugged and was a snap to install. My cable going into the adapter is almost flush against the back of the radio. It takes a bit of effort to plug it in and extract the cable, but that's part of it being more rugged.